Happy Friday everyone!!! I have to say that I’m looking forward to my weekends more now that summer is ACTUALLY here. Perhaps it’s not here to stay just yet but I’m going to enjoy the 80 degree weather this weekend, thank you very much! I’m also excited to be in DC this weekend since I’ve been traveling literally every weekend- though all of my travels were for fun and I got to see a lot of friends and family I haven’t seen in ages, so I’m very thankful for that 🙂
Pardon the posting of so many seafood dishes of late! Traveling on weekends definitely makes it harder for me to meal prep and cook during the week. I’m usually pretty tired to grocery shop after a trip. Sometimes even with groceries at home, I’m too tired to make anything because I’m still reeling from the flying and the break from my routine. So the recipe I’m sharing today is actually quite awesome for those weeks where I want to put the least amount of effort without compromising the quality of and nutrition in my meal!
I had originally found this fish taco recipe via Cookinglight.com (an affiliate of MyRecipes.com) a few years ago. It was such a success on my first attempt that it has become a staple recipe in our home. It’s also important to note that this recipe only takes 20 minutes from start to finish, can’t beat that! I made a couple of changes and additions to the original recipe, and made more of the crema because that is really what makes this recipe so good! Hope you enjoy these super quick, light and delicious fish tacos!
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili or cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 lbs tilapia or any white fish of your choice (I had 4 fillets)
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced into wedges
- Cooking spray
- 20 (6-inch) gluten-free corn tortillas
- 2 cups spinach, sliced into ribbons/strips
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mayo
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (white & green parts)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Mix the first 6 ingredients from cumin through garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Rub the seasonings on all the fillets and place them on a greased baking pan.
- Place the baking pan in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
- While the fish is cooking, mix all the crema ingredients in a serving bowl. Top with some additional grated lime, green onions and cilantro for garnish and set aside.
- After the fish has cooked, let them cool for about 3 minutes and transfer them to a serving bowl.
- Using a fork break the fish apart into bite size pieces.
- Assemble the taco by placing a 1/4 cup of the fish, a few slices of avocado, a handful of the spinach strips and top with a dollop of crema in the center of a corn tortilla.